First Super continues strong returns in 2018/19
September 19th, 2019
First Super has again delivered strong long-term results for our members, as our 2018/19 investment performance confirmed in August.
The Balanced (default) super option – in which the majority of our members are invested – achieved a return of 6.70% for the 2018/19 financial year, and five and ten-year returns of 8.68% and 8.84% respectively.
Our Balanced super option was also recently named in the top 10 MySuper products based on a five-year returns analysis based on data from industry regulator APRA (the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority).
CEO Bill Watson said that the results were strong given the market volatility and global uncertainty around trade over the last financial year.
“Superannuation is a long-term proposition, so while we are pleased with a solid result for our members over the past 12 months, the five and ten-year figures are in many ways the real numbers to watch,” he said.
The Fund also performed well across other investment options over the past 12 months:
- the Shares Plus option returned 7.91% (10.85% over the past 5 years, 11.02% over the past 10 years)
- the Cash option returned 2.04% (2.35% over the past 5 years, 3.11% over the past 10 years)
- the Conservative Balanced option returned 5.80% (6.92% over the past 5 years, 7.69% over the past 10 years)
- the Growth option returned 7.18% (9.59% over the past 5 years,10.72% since inception).
Our Investment Returns & Crediting Rates web page has full details of the 2018/19 crediting rates and those for prior periods.
* Disclaimer: Based on the 2018/19 financial year crediting rates, which is the return minus investment costs and taxes. Past investment returns are not a reliable indication of future returns.