What cover do I have?
When you first join First Super, you automatically receive a ‘default’ level of minimum insurance cover for Death and Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) insurance*. The level of ‘default’ cover you receive depends on your age and employment type.
If you are not sure what insurance you have or how much cover you have, call our Member Services Team on 1300 360 988 or log in to your firstonline account.
Once you have received your cover, you can:
- change to the lower cost risk or professional rates (if you qualify for them – see below for more details);
- fix the value of your default insurance (so it doesn’t decline over time);
- apply for additional cover (without evidence of health)*;
- apply for Income Protection insurance;
- apply for a fixed amount of insurance (rather than units); or
- transfer insurance from other super accounts to First Super; or
- opt out of the insurance cover altogether.
To increase your insurance cover for Death and Total and Permanent Disablement, or to increase your existing level or apply for Income Protection insurance, please complete and return an Application for Insurance Cover form.
To reduce your insurance cover or to cancel an existing policy, please complete and return the Vary Your Insurance Cover form.
Different rates apply to different occupation as some occupations have more risks attached to them than others. You may qualify for Low Risk insurance rates if you are:
- Solely engaged in a professional, managerial, marketing, accounting, administrative or clerical occupation; and
- spend at least 80% of all working time in an office environment; and
- are in, or capable of being in, Active Employment.
You may qualify for professional insurance rates if you:
- are solely engaged in a professional, managerial, marketing, accounting, administrative or similar low risk occupation; and
- your duties are entirely undertaken within an office environment; and
- you earn more than $125,000 a year from your profession; and
- are in a senior management role or hold tertiary qualifications or are a member of a professional institute or registered by a government body related to his or her professional; and are in or capable of being in, active employment.
We’re here to help. So let’s talk.
If you have any questions, please call our Members Services Team on 1300 360 988, or email us.
The information shown on this website is general in nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before investing in any product you should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and consider the appropriateness of the product for your objectives, financial situation or needs.
*The automatic and additional cover is subject to eligibility conditions being met (Refer to the Insurance PDS for full details).